Sunday, November 3, 2013

How to - copy/paste from VirtualBox guest to host & viceversa


After I started using Ubuntu VM in VirtualBox, I needed to copy/paste text from VirtualBox guest to host & viceversa. But, copy/paste is not working by default. Let me provide the steps I used to enable copy/paste.


  • I opened VirtualBox, selected my VM, clicked "Settings".
  • I selected "General", "Advanced", opened drop down menu of "Shared Clipboard" and selected "Bidirectional":












  • Next, I opened drop down menu of "Drang n Drop" & selected "Bidirectional": 




      Then, I clicked "OK".

  • Next, I started my VM. After the VM booted completely to the prompt, I installed "VirtualBox Guest Additions".  VirtualBox Guest Additions provide closer integration between host and guest & hence increasing interactivity between guest and host. For instance, copy/paste feature between host and guest OSes.


      To install the "VirtualBox Guest Additions", I clicked on my VM, clicked on the "Devices" in top bar menu and clicked on "Insert Guest Additions CD image...":



  • Next, I was prompted in ubuntu VM whether I would like to proceed with VirtualBox Guest Additions installation. I clicked "Run":



  • Next, a terminal automatically popped up in my Ubuntu VM & "VirtualBox Guest Additions" installation proceeded in this terminal:



      Next, pressed "Return" in the above terminal. The terminal closed automatically.
  • Next, powered off my VM. 
  • Next, started the VM.
  • From there on, Copy/paste feature worked from guest to host & viceversa.

Hope this helps.

No comments:

UA-48797665-1