Sunday, June 7, 2020

Getting Started with Java in IntelliJ IDE


I have been using 
VSCode IDE a bit. However, my team at Salesforce uses IntelliJ IDE (Ultimate Edition). So, I decided to give it a try. Here are the steps to get started with a sample project (say, the usual "Hello World !!") in Java.


1) Install Java JDK for Mac: I think it was already installed earlier. So, didn't have to do this step in my case.


2) Install IntelliJ Community Edition: https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/download/#section=mac. I am using MAC. But, if your OS is different, choose the platform appropriately.


3) Install. Move IntelliJ to Applications folder. This created an icon like this in Mac's Launchpad:

                                                           










4) Create a new project in IntelliJ: 








I created and named my Project "HelloWorld". I think the project name should start with an upper case letter?




5) I then created a new class named "HelloWorld" and filled in a few lines of code (some of it getting auto-filled). 
When I clicked "Run", the program output "Hello World !!" on the console pane.







Hope this helps.

No comments:

UA-48797665-1